The Wrights Dowson Group is one of the leading Rotary Shaft Seal Suppliers in the UK. Their rotary shaft seals have been successfully used across several industries, including food, drink, animal feed, and grain, waste, biomass, recycling, and many others.
In many industries, contaminants must be kept out of the product, and a clean working environment can be maintained. This is often a struggle around rotating shafts, where products can escape. At the same time, rotating shafts need to stay in place and remain lubricated. A rotary shaft seal ensures these conditions are fulfilled.
What is a Rotary Shaft Seal?
Rotary Shaft Seals, also known as Radial Shaft seals, exclude dirt, dust, water, and other particles while retaining lubrication of the shaft equipment. The Rotary Shaft Seal protects the bearings of rotating shafts.
The seals work by squeezing around the shaft and maintaining a slim layer of lubricant between the lip and the shaft. Rotary Shaft Seals provide hydrodynamic action to aid the seal, creating a slight pump action. Depending on the applications, Rotary Shaft Seals avoid different types of contamination.
They are commonly used with food processors, cement manufacturers, and electric vehicles. More specifically, rotary shaft seals create a seal around the shafts of:
- Screw conveyors
- Ribbon blenders
- Bulk handling equipment
- Any machinery that moves product along
Across multiple industries, rotary shaft seals are being introduced as a standard to upgrade equipment and ensure a cleaner working environment with fewer contaminations.
Rotary Shaft Seals offer significant benefits in Design and performance as well as cost-effectiveness.
The Design of Rotary Shaft Seals
Rotary Shaft Seals improve upon alternatives like lip seals, as these fracture easily and feature small surfaces. These are more fragile and increase the chance of contaminant leakage.
Cinchseal rotary shaft seals consist of a Hard Faced Anodised Aluminum or polished stainless steel casing, including stainless steel or PTFE rotor cups. Their seal interface surface is much more significant to prevent leakage and contamination. High-pressure shaft seals also provide air or nitrogen purging, which pushes the rotors against the stator. This closes the sliding interface and prevents leakage.
We also offer a split design to provide simple and installation and conversion, removing the need for outside installers.
The exact specifications of rotary shaft seals depend on your application. The Wrights Dowson group designs bespoke seals based on your operations, and seals will have specifically tailored dimensions.
Advantages of Using Rotary Shaft Seals
There are several significant advantages to using stainless steel rotary shaft seals in your operations.
- Rotary shaft seals with split design are easy to install. You won’t need outside installers to get them set up.
- Rotary Shaft Seals prevent leakage and contamination. This protects the product from being wasted.
- By avoiding contamination, Rotary Shaft Seals protect the workforces. Illness is less likely to arise, which keeps associated costs low.
- Rotary Shaft Seals have a larger sealing surface than alternatives, leading to less leakage and sturdier, longer-lasting protection.
- Rotary Shaft Seals are a cost-effective investment. They prevent accidents that could affect your bottom line. Rotary Shaft Seals also offer high performance at a reasonable price value.
- The silicone Elastomer presses against stationary faces, thereby allowing the rotary assembly to float with the shaft. This avoids misalignment with bulk handling equipment.
- Rotary Shaft Seals’ split design easily allows for them to be taken apart for cleaning and maintenance.
The Right Rotary Shaft Seal for your Applications
Rotary Shaft Seals’ concept is simple, but the execution is complex because of the many moving parts. Our seals deal with these technical difficulties in a way alternatives cannot, leading to more reliable sealing and less worry in your day-to-day operations.
The Wright Downson Group’s Engineers can advise you on what rotary shaft seal best suits your applications. We can create custom solutions and designs based on your requirements if you provide us with information on your product and current shaft equipment.
We have an established reputation for our bespoke rotary shaft seals. But we also provide widely recognised manufacture of conveyors, bin activators and more to suit your operations.
If you want to learn more about our rotary shaft seals, get in touch with us at the Wrights Downson Group for advice, technical support, and quotations.